In establishing the school, it was William of Wykeham’s intention that “Christ may be more fervently and frequently preached, and faith and the worship of God's name increased and more firmly maintained.” Today, whilst remaining true to our origins we welcome pupils and staff from a variety of faiths and beliefs.
Regular worship in the Chapel draws boys inclusively into a community informed by Christian values and Sunday services offer a moment of contemplation and peace for all. On Sunday mornings, there are various Faith Circles held for those of other religions, and a Roman Catholic Mass.
A strong commitment to the choral tradition of the Church is maintained by the renowned Chapel Choir, made up of pupils and staff from across the school, and sixteen Quiristers drawn from The Pilgrims’ School.
Choral Evensong is sung in Chapel at 5:30pm on most Tuesdays, and Sung Eucharist at 5:30pm on most Thursdays during term. These services are open to the public. Please consult the Chapel Diary below.
The Chaplaincy plays a key role in promoting the spiritual wellbeing of all the boys. The chaplains support various prayer and discussion groups, and are available to the school community for pastoral and sacramental counsel. A Catholic Chaplaincy is also available.
The inside of Chapel has seen many alterations but still has its original timber cusped lierne-vault, very like a fan-vault, designed by Hugh Herland, Richard II’s chief carpenter. It is thought to be the earliest vault of its kind.
The stained glass is a copy made between 1821 and 1828 by Betton and Evans of the original, made by Thomas Glazier of Oxford between 1392 and 1394. The medieval glass was later relocated and a large section of the original east window, a Tree of Jesse design, was acquired through the generosity of the art historian Kenneth Clark and installed in Thurburn’s Chantry. A further portion, subsequently located, was purchased or gifted to the College and forms the east window of Fromond’s Chantry.
O, Eternal God, the life and the resurrection of all them that believe in thee, always to be praised as well for the dead as for those that be alive, we give thee most hearty thanks for our Founder, William of Wykeham, and all other our benefactors, by whose benefits we are here brought up to godliness and the studies of good learning; beseeching thee that we, well using all these thy blessings to the praise and honour of thy Holy Name, may at length be brought to the immortal glory of the Resurrection, through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
9th July 2019
To mark the 200th anniversary of Keats's time in Winchester, the school will host two public talks and a new exhibition about the poet.
27th June 2019
Falling in the First World War, former pupil, Captain William Miles Kington was only recently identified. Two of our teaching staff travelled to the Tyne Cot cemetery to attend the Ceremony of Rededication of his headstone.
18th June 2019
A beautiful new publication showcases 50 treasures from the school's outstanding collections.
10th May 2019
Winchester College Chapel Choir joined three others for an historic Evensong, continuing the tradition of the four choirs gathering as part of their Amicabilis Concordia, signed in 1444.
1st May 2019
Generous funding by an OW has secured the future of the plane trees on Meads and in the Warden's Garden.