Winchester College is located in the historic surrounds of the Roman and Anglo Saxon city which King Alfred made his capital. The school retains its original location on College Street, a short walk from the city centre, just the other side of one of two surviving medieval city gates.

Buildings of interest

From the school it is a short walk to:  

Winchester Cathedral - one of the finest medieval cathedrals in Europe, founded in 1072 and home to the 12th century Winchester Bible. The school retains close links with the cathedral, where William of Wykeham lies buried in a splendid chantry chapel.  

The Great Hall – the last remaining part of Winchester Castle, built in the 13th century, and containing a significant symbol of medieval mythology, King Arthur’s Round Table.  

The ruins of Wolvesey Palace - originally one of the greatest medieval buildings in England and the palace of the bishops of Winchester. The modern Bishop’s Palace, designed by Sir Christopher Wren, is next door.

Literary winchester

Winchester has contributed greatly to the literary heritage of our country.

Below are some of the figures associated with the city and with the school itself. 

The Archive and the Fellows’ Library contain many manuscripts and first editions by these and other authors, which boys are able to use in Div and for extended projects.

Jane Austen  
John Keats  
Developing the English Language  
Bishop Thomas Ken  
Seventeenth century  
Eighteenth century  
Victorian period  
Charlotte Yonge  
John Keble  
Lord Alfred 'Bosie' Douglas  
Winchester Poets  
Twentieth century