Headmaster's WelcomeWelcome to our website.
• an intelligent and critical awareness of the world
• strong communication skills based on systematic reading and discussion
• a confident ability to think independently and with originality
• enjoyment of living in a community in which the life of the mind is a priority
• an enthusiastic appetite for university study
• an unaffected modesty of manner.
We seek to welcome into our community boys from every kind of background who, with their parents, value these qualities.
Winchester is distinctive among boys' boarding schools (and perhaps all schools) in its combination of intellectual tone, promotion of high culture and civilised pastoral care. Every boy is a full boarder and its admissions system, in which prior to admission every boy is interviewed at length, is unique.
We have a generous bursary provision to assist parents who are unable to afford our fees, information about which can be found here. Currently there are 124 boys receiving bursarial assistance, at a cost to the School of over £2.9 million. We encourage those who need it to ask for our help.